- Title: London holds emotional vigil for attack victims
- Date: 5th June 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 5, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VIGIL TAKING PLACE IN POTTERS FIELD, OUTSIDE LONDON CITY HALL NEAR TOWER BRIDGE VARIOUS OF BRITISH AND ENGLISH FLAGS FLYING AT HALF-MAST ON TOP OF TOWER BRIDGE ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY, JUSTIN WELBY (HOLDING FLOWERS), AND OTHER RELIGIOUS LEADERS ARRIVING AT VIGIL VARIOUS OF PERSON IN THE CROWD HOLDING UP BRITISH FLAG LONDON MAYOR SADIQ KHAN (MIDDLE), HOME SECRETARY AMBER RUDD (RIGHT) AND SHADOW HOME SECRETARY DIANE ABBOT (LEFT) ARRIVING AT VIGIL WITH FLOWERS, FOLLOWED BY EMERGENCY SERVICES CHIEFS WOMAN WITH HEADSCARF IN CROWD HOLDING FLOWERS EMERGENCY SERVICES CHIEFS LAYING FLOWERS AT VIGIL KHAN, ABBOT AND RUDD LAYING FLOWERS KHAN, ABBOT AND RUDD WITH HEADS BOWED KHAN WALKING TO PODIUM ON STAGE / CROWD APPLAUDING CROWD LISTENING TO KHAN'S SPEECH AND APPLAUDING CROWD APPLAUDING MINUTE OF SILENCE STARTING VARIOUS OF MINUTE OF SILENCE IN PROGRESS MAN HOLDING HEART-SHAPED LONDON SIGN / MINUTE OF SILENCE ENDING / CROWD APPLAUDING FIREMEN MOVING THROUGH CROWD WOMAN SAYING (English): "It is very emotional. It is a great city. It is very emotional." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MOURNER, LOIS BUTLIN, SAYING: "Why wouldn't it be important? How could anybody ignore this? Tragic, it is tragic. For all the lives that are lost, including the three. It is just senseless." VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF LONDON'S DAWOODI BOHRA MUSLIM COMMUNITY LAYING FLOWERS AT VIGIL SIGN READING (English): "YOU ARE IN OUR HEARTS AND PRAYERS. WE STAND UNITED WITH YOU. TERRORIST AIN'T NO MUSLIMS." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MOURNER FROM AHMADIYA MUSLIM COMMUNITY, MUHAMMAD ABDULLAH, SAYING: "Well it was absolutely barbaric. It doesn't represent Islam. It has been said countless times before, this isn't the first time something like this is happening in the UK or America as well. But we do reject it completely. We condemn it in the utmost way." VARIOUS OF FLOWERS AT VIGIL WOMAN PRAYING AT VIGIL VARIOUS OF MAN HOLDING UNION JACK FLAG PRAYING AT VIGIL VARIOUS OF GIRLS FROM LONDON SCHOOL LAYING FLOWERS AT VIGIL SIGN READING (English): "CHOOSE LOVE" (SOUNDBITE) (English) MOURNER, LOUISE RIGG, SAYING: "Exactly what Sadiq Khan said, it's about love and unity and coming together, and we have to now more than ever, show compassion towards one another." VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF LONDON MUSLIM COMMUNITY HOLDING SIGN READING (English): "LOVE FOR ALL HATRED FOR NONE" MEMBERS OF LONDON MUSLIM COMMUNITY SHAKING HANDS AND EMBRACING FELLOW MOURNERS
- Embargoed: 19th June 2017 21:50
- Keywords: minute of silence Muslim tribue London Mayor Sadiq Khan London Bridge attack London attack vigil
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016K05V0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Londoners held a vigil to mourn the victims of the London Bridge attack on Monday (June 5).
Thousands gathered on the banks of the River Thames to pay their respects, a few hundred yards away from where three militants rammed into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing revellers on Saturday night, killing seven.
People of all ages braved the rain to pay their respects, with some breaking into tears during a minute of silence for the victims and staying behind to lay down flowers.
Mourners held signs with messages such as "hate will not divide us" and "stand up to racism", while others carried balloons shaped as hearts.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan, the first Muslim mayor of a major western capital, said the Islamist extremists who targeted civilians in bars and restaurants were despicable and the city would be resilient in the face of the attack.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None