- Title: Seven illegal migrants found dead in refrigerated truck
- Date: 5th June 2017
- Summary: TRIPOLI, LIBYA (JUNE 5, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF POLICE VEHICLES MIGRANTS SITTING ON GROUND STICKER ON WALL READING IN (Arabic): 'Libya's anti-illegal immigration division' MORE OF MIGRANTS ON GROUND LIBYAN OFFICERS STANDING NEXT TO MIGRANTS VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS SITTING MIGRANTS BARE FEET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) OFFICER IN LIBYA'S ANTI-ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION DIVISION, ADEL MOSTAFA, SAYING: "Today at dawn we got a call from a civilian who reported that he could hear voices coming from a truck which he believed contained Africans based on their language. We immediately made some calls to the investigations unit in the anti-illegal immigration division to inform them of the incident. We then spoke to the police precinct of Qarabulli to inform them of the report and they immediately sent over people to investigate and found the truck with 34 migrants inside who were moved to the anti-illegal immigration division's Tripoli branch and were provided with first aid, but unfortunately, seven of them were found dead, but the remaining 28 were given first aid and thank god they are in good health." VARIOUS OF WOMEN MIGRANTS SITTING ON GROUND VARIOUS OF TRUCK WHERE MIGRANTS HAD BEEN FOUND BODY BAGS BODY OF MIGRANT SEEN IN BODY BAG MORE OF BODY BAGS VARIOUS OF MIGRANT BODY VARIOUS OF HOSPITAL EMPLOYEES IN ROOM WITH BODY BAGS
- Embargoed: 19th June 2017 02:23
- Keywords: Truck Libya Migrants Europe
- Location: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- City: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016K020QV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: **CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES**
Seven illegal migrants were found dead in a refrigerated truck which was left abandoned on the shores of Qarabulli town, around 65 km east of Tripoli.
Libyan authorities found the truck with thirty four African migrants held inside, seven of whom appeared to have died of suffocation.
According to the migrants, smugglers packed them into the back of the truck to transport them to a boat which they would use to cross the Mediterranean.
The migrants said the truck driver left the vehicle on the side of the road after unknown gunmen began firing at the tyres.
They were locked inside the truck for two days before officers found them early Sunday morning.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None