- Title: U.S. army pacific chief in Bangkok amid regional security concerns
- Date: 5th June 2017
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (JUNE 5, 2017) (REUTERS) CAR APPROACHING AND COMMANDING GENERAL OF UNITED STATES ARMY PACIFIC (USARPAC), GENERAL ROBERT B. BROWN, GETTING DOWN AND GREETING THAI AMRY CHIEF, GENERAL CHALERMCHAI SITTHISART THAI AND AMERICAN FLAGS FLYING BROWN AND CHALERMCHAI WALKING ONTO THE STAGE
- Embargoed: 19th June 2017 11:15
- Keywords: allies Thailand U.S General Robert B. Brown General Chalermchai Sitthisart
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- City: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016K03DQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The head of the U.S. Army Pacific met his Thai counterpart in Bangkok on Monday (June 5), a rare top-level meeting between the old allies' militaries since the United States criticized a Thai military coup in 2014.
The visit to Thailand by General Robert B. Brown, who is also director of the U.S. Missile Defense Agency in Seoul, comes as the United States looks to reassure allies about its commitment to the region.
Brown met General Chalermchai Sitthisart, commander of the Royal Thai Army, at the army's headquarters in Bangkok.
Thailand is Washington's oldest ally in the region, but ties were strained by the 2014 military coup led by then-army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha that ousted an elected civilian government.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None