- Title: Farmers, teachers, public servants unite for Colombia strike
- Date: 6th June 2017
- Summary: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA (JUNE 06, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF PROTESTERS GATHERED IN CENTRAL PLAZA STRIKERS MARCHING ALONG STREET CARRYING A LONG COLOMBIAN FLAG STRIKERS MOVING FLAG AS THEY MARCH PLACARDS WITH LOGO OF COLOMBIAN EDUCATION BODY FECODE DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING DEMONSTRATORS' FEET AS THEY MARCH IN DOWNTOWN BOGOTA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) STRIKING TEACHER, JIMMY VILLALBA, SAYING: "We are all being harmed. We need this situation to be resolved so our children go back to their classrooms and so we are not in this situation, defending our rights." CROWD GATHERED IN LOCAL SQUARE STATUE IN SQUARE DRAPED IN COLOMBIAN FLAG AND A PEACE OF MATERIAL COVERING HIS MOUTH WHITE CLOTH WITH HAMMER AND SICK SERVING AS MAKESHIFT FLAG PROPPED UP BY STATUE DRAPED IN VENEZUELAN FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) STRIKING TEACHER, CAMILO CASTILLO, SAYING: "The government leaves education for last. Education is paramount if we want to get out of under-development." RICE FARMERS CARRYING BANNER AT FRONT OF MARCH PROTESTER WITH PLACARD THAT READS "POLITICIANS ARE TWISTED. IT'S ON THE BRINK." FARMERS MARCHING AHEAD OF GROUP OF STRIKERS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RICE FARMER, OSCAR GUTIERREZ, SAYING: "We are in Bogota to tell the national government that we are not going to let it (price of rice) break. We need a price guarantee, that there is remuneration for rice farmers. Rice imports must be abolished and that free trade be renegotiated. Damage is being done to the agricultural producers of Colombia." RICE FARMERS, PUBLIC SERVANTS AND TEACHERS GATHERED DURING MARCH RICE FARMER THROWING RICE ON THE GROUND DURING MARCH RICE FARMER BLOWING TRUMPET AS HE THROWS RICE DURING MARCH PROTESTERS MARCHING BEHIND BANNER THAT READS "DEFENDING OUR RIGHTS" PROTESTER WAVING COLOMBIAN FLAG IN LOCAL SQUARE
- Embargoed: 20th June 2017 21:59
- Keywords: public servants farmers teachers Bogota Colombia strike
- Location: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- City: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016K554QR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Rice farmers, teachers and public servants came together on Tuesday (June 06) for a 60,000-strong march to demand greater government assistance, to boost state education and support the embattled agricultural sector.
Teachers have protested nationwide since their strike began on May 11, asking the government to increase investment in education, adjust the structure for raising salaries and provide more comprehensive health insurance.
Talks with the government began back in March but have stalled as President Juan Manuel Santos says the government can't meet the teachers union's demands, because it doesn't have the money.
Rice farmers also joined in on the strike saying the market price of their product is too low. They have travelled to Bogota from rural areas, many of which have been reportedly affected by climate change.
Farmers want financial assistance from the government to support small and medium size rice producers.
Teachers and rice farmers have vowed to keep up their protest until their demands are met.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None