- Title: EU institutions hold minute of silence for London attack victims
- Date: 6th June 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JUNE 6, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF EU COMMISSION BUILDING
- Embargoed: 20th June 2017 13:26
- Keywords: Silence Council Commission Victims Attacks EU Minute Juncker London Oettinger
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016K54KZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and fellow commissioners observed a minute of silence on Tuesday (June 6) in solidarity with the victims of an attack in London that left seven people dead.
Guenther Oettinger, European Commissioner for Budget and Human Resources quoted a statement released by Juncker on Sunday (June 4) saying the EU stands in solidarity with Londoners.
Outside the Commission building, also known as 'Berlaymont', EU flags were hung at half-mast in homage to the victims.
A minute of silence was also held at the European Council, located across the street from the Commission, in presence of Britain's permanent representative to the European Union, Tim Barrow.
The rampage followed a suicide bomb attack which killed 22 adults and children at a concert in Manchester two weeks ago, and an attack in March when five people died after a van was driven into pedestrians on London's Westminster Bridge.
The Islamic State militant group, which is losing territory in Syria and Iraq to an offensive backed by a U.S.-led coalition, has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None