- Title: France's Macron welcomes King of Jordan in Paris
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MACRON AND KING ABDULLAH DURING MEETING KING ABDULLAH DURING MEETING MACRON DURING MEETING MEETING IN PROGRESS MACRON AND KING ABDULLAH ARRIVING FOR NEWS BRIEFING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "We spoke about the Israel and Palestinian issue, and we will continue to do so shortly with His Majesty. We are both very concerned by the violence on the ground and I want to here reiterate my condemnation of the attack with took place last Friday in Jerusalem but also of the continuing settlement expansion which threatens the two-state solution." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Ladies and gentlemen, journalists, I don't want to end this declaration without a thought for your three colleagues hurt today in the Mosul region, and for their Iraqi fixer who died in this tragic war accident. I want to share here once again France's and the head of state's solidarity towards these men and women who do their jobs with a great deal of bravery, and we will always be alongside them." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) JORDAN'S KING ABDULLAH SAYING: "All the challenges that are affecting us, whether it's the economic challenges or threats of extremism and terrorism, is something that has to bring us together in a focused, strategic view not only for our region but for the rest of the world. While these issues are not exclusive to my region, as I mentioned, the absence of an inclusive political solution to regional conflict means sectarian violence and the terrorist threat will continue to fester." WHITE FLASH NEWS BRIEFING ENDING
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 19:43
- Keywords: Emmanuel Macron France King Abdullah Jordan Elysee presidential palace
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0036LY48XZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed Jordan's King Abdullah in Paris on Monday (June 19).
Macron and King Abdullah discussed Israel and the Palestinian territories, and the French president condemned an attack on Friday (June 16) by three Palestinians who killed an Israeli policewoman as well as "continuing settlement expansion".
Speaking from the Elysee presidential palace, Macron also paid tribute to an Iraqi journalist who was killed and three French reporters who were wounded after a mine exploded in Mosul where they were covering an advance by Iraqi forces against Islamic State militants.
King Abdullah called for a "political solution to regional conflict" to prevent sectarian violence and the threat from terrorism.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None