- Title: Clashes continue in rage in Caracas
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF CLASHES - CLOUDS OF TEAR GAS, PROTESTERS ON MOTORCYCLES, NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS PROTESTERS HIDING BEHIND MAKESHIFT SHIELDS CLOUDS OF TEAR GAS, MILITARY VEHICLES PROTESTER THROWING TEAR GAS CANISTER PROTESTERS GATHERED PROTESTER AFFECTED BY TEAR GAS PROTESTERS TAKING MAN AFFECTED BY TEAR GAS AWAY ON MOTORCYCLE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS THROWING THINGS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, ANARGELIS FERNANDEZ, SAYING: "This problem is about the Venezuelans and we are going to resolve it. We are not expecting anything from these people [the Organization of American States]. This problem is ours and we are going to resolve it. As we assemble against them [the government], they have to leave this country. They leave this country. It's simple. We are not counting on the OAS, on Trump nor anyone else. As Venezuelans we can because we can." NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS GENERAL VIEW OF NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS AND MILITARY VEHICLES PROTESTERS RUNNING UNDER BRIDGE PERSON AFFECTED BY TEAR GAS BEING TAKEN AWAY ON A MOTORCYCLE PROTESTERS WITH SLINGSHOT MILITARY VEHICLE WITH LIGHTS FLASHING, TEAR GAS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, HENRY SANTIAGO, SAYING: "We here do not go out to the street to defend a party nor to defend a color. We are defending what is ours because if we don't defend ourselves, then who will? So we are waiting for a positive answer and tell the Foreign Minister of Venezuela that please, do not sit there and tell lies to everyone." PROTESTER RAISING ARMS IN THE AIR PROTESTER SHOUTING AT THE CAMERA
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 22:15
- Keywords: Nicolas Maduro political crisis tear gas
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016LY4K07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Clashes continued to rage in Venezuela on Monday (June 19) as opposition demonstrators led a demo called "Everyone to Caracas".
According to protest organizers, the demo was aimed at drawing government opponents from other states to the capital and march to the National Electoral Council (CNE).
National Guard troops were out in force with riot gear and tear gas as they clashed with protesters in the afternoon.
Monday marks 80 days since protests began against President Nicolas Maduro.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None