- Title: Pope Francis to visit Peru and Chile in January 2018
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CITYSCAPES OF THE CITY OF SANTIAGO VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AROUND STREETS IN MIDDLE OF SANTIAGO
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 20:07
- Keywords: cardinal Cipriani papal visit Peru Chile Heraldo Munoz
- Location: LIMA, PERU / CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO / SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: LIMA, PERU / CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO / SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0036LY3687
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Pope Francis will visit Chile and Peru in January, the Vatican said on Monday (June 19), the latest in a series of trips to his home continent.
Starting in Chile on January 15, the Argentine pontiff will go to the cities of Santiago, Temuco and Iquique, before heading to Peru, where he will stop in Lima, Puerto Maldonado and Trujillo.
The Vatican said in a statement Francis had accepted invitations from the heads of state and bishops of the two countries. The trip will wrap up on January 21.
Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, welcomed the news. Cardinal and Archbishop of Lima Juan Luis Cipriani, said Francis would come as a "pilgrim of peace, justice, unity."
Meanwhile, Chilean Foreign Minister Heraldo Munoz, said he was very happy with the decision. The Apostolic Nuncio in Chile, Bishop Ivo Scapolo, was also delighted with the news and Cardinal Ricardo Ezzati Andrello and Archbishop of Santiago, said Francis' visit would "do much good to our country (Chile)."
Since his election to lead the world's 2 billion Catholics in 2013, Francis has visited Brazil, Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Cuba and Mexico, but has not made a pastoral trip to his home country of Argentina.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None