- Title: Britain and EU launch Brexit talks in Brussels
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) EU FLAGS AT HALF-MAST FOR THE VICTIMS OF MALI ATTACK AND PORTUGAL FIRE AND THE DEATH OF FORMER GERMAN CHANCELLOR HELMUT KOHL
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 10:50
- Keywords: EU Commission Brexit negotiations Barnier Davis Britain
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036LY0YFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The chief Brexit negotiators of the European Union and Britain began talks on Monday (June 19) by stressing the need to quickly tackle uncertainties in the process and underlining their constructive attitude to reach a deal that is good for all.
Speaking before the first day of talks at The EU Commission, Britain's Brexit minister David Davis said London wanted a deep and special relationship with the EU after the divorce and that he would conduct the talks in a constructive tone.
He warned there would be 'challenging times' in the negotiations but added both parties would try to deliver a deal that 'works in the best interests of all citizens.'
Davis added the tone of the negotiation would be 'positive' and said the goal was to build 'a strong and special partnership.'
The European Union's Michel Barnier said he hoped the talks, starting almost a year to the day after a British referendum vote to leave the EU, would establish a timetable for the negotiations.
Officials on both sides play down expectations for what can be achieved in one day. EU diplomats hope this first meeting, and a Brussels summit on Thursday and Friday where May will encounter - but not negotiate with - fellow EU leaders, can improve the atmosphere after some spiky exchanges.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None