- Title: Family and friends mourn U.S. sailors found dead after collision at sea
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: YOKOSUKA, JAPAN (JUNE 18, 2017) (REUTERS) USS FITZGERALD ANCHORED AT PORT CALL NUMBER OF THE SHIP READING: "62" TIGHT SHOT DAMAGED RIGHT SIDE OF THE SHIP
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 15:09
- Keywords: USS Fitzgerald Yokosuka collision at sea missing sailors Lake Monticello San Diego
- Location: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA / LAKE MONTICELLO, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES / YOKOSUKA, JAPAN / UNIDENTIFIED
- City: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA / LAKE MONTICELLO, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES / YOKOSUKA, JAPAN / UNIDENTIFIED
- Country: Various
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Sea Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0086LY2UDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Nearly an hour elapsed before a Philippine-flagged container ship reported a collision with a U.S. warship, the Japanese coastguard said on Monday (June 19), as investigations began into the accident in which seven U.S. sailors were killed.
The U.S. Navy confirmed that all seven missing sailors on the USS Fitzgerald were found dead in flooded berthing compartments after the destroyer's collision with the container ship off Japan early on Saturday.
The Fitzgerald and a Philippine-flagged container ship collided south of Tokyo Bay early on Saturday. The cause of the collision is not known.
Multiple U.S. and Japanese investigations are under way on how a ship as large as the container could collide with the smaller warship in clear weather.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None