- Title: Worshippers hit by van at London mosque
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS STANDING BY CORDON WHERE ATTACK TOOK PLACE WOMEN IN HEADSCARVES WALKING FROM BEHIND POLICE CORDON AND PASSING POLICE OFFICERS HUSSEIN ALI, EYEWITNESS TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) HUSSEIN ALI, EYEWITNESS, SAYING: "I heard the bang and then I looked around and I run for my life as soon as I heard screams. He terrorise, to me he is a terrorist because he wanted to get as much casualty he want to get." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ABDUL ABDULLAH, EYEWITNESS, SAYING: "I see people on the floor, they are trying to resuscitate someone, a lady, it looks like she is in her late sixties, early seventies, very old. She is there crying, there is one guy, blood running down his head, it was very horrific scenes." ABDULLAH SPEAKING TO MEDIA NEAR CORDON (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOUFIK KACIMI, MUSLIM WELFARE HOUSE SAYING: "Islam is a religion of peace, not a religion of killing, so we thank our Imam Muhammed for saving this guy's life." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOUFIK KACIMI, MUSLIM WELFARE HOUSE SAYING (AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING): "So Muhammed is the hero of the day. He is our local Imam and he is the one who saved another possible death." (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOUFIK KACIMI, MUSLIM WELFARE HOUSE SAYING: "The central government is not doing enough to protect the Muslims in terms of extremist rise, in terms of Islamophobia. More should be done about it, but at the same time we should calm down. Things should not be escalating. We shouldn't call for hatred. Hatred is something horrible. We are calling for love and peace, not for hatred." PEOPLE GATHERED BY CORDON VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS BY CORDON CLOSE OF "METROPOLITAN POLICE" BADGE YOUSIF AL KHOEI, DIRECTOR OF AL-KHOEI FOUNDATION AND THE CENTRE FOR SHIA STUDIES, SEATED AMONGST LOCALS AND MEDIA NEAR CORDON (SOUNDBITE) (English) YOUSIF AL KHOEI, DIRECTOR OF AL-KHOEI FOUNDATION AND THE CENTRE FOR SHIA STUDIES, SAYING: "We have had several incidents now of terror attacks and counter attacks. This is not very healthy for society, it is not very healthy for all of us. Unfortunately some members of the media have a very simplistic view and they start blaming Islam and as a result of that some right wing groups start taking revenge in the way we have seen, which feeds in back into more extremism." POLICE HELICOPTER OVERHEAD TWO JEWISH MEN WALKING BEHIND CORDON POLICE OFFICER BEHIND CORDON POLICE OFFICERS AND FIREFIGHTER BEHIND CORDON POLICE VEHICLES
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 09:53
- Keywords: van witnesses driver Finsbury Park attack reaction community mosque London police
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016LXZ4UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A van ploughed into worshippers leaving a London mosque on Monday (June 19), injuring 10 people in what witnesses said was a deliberate attack on Muslims.
One man, who was already being given first aid at the scene before the vehicle was driven into pedestrians, has died but police said it was not clear whether his death was directly linked. Eight others are in hospital, with two in a very serious condition.
The incident was being treated as a potential terrorist attack said Prime Minister Theresa May, which if confirmed would make it the fourth since March in Britain and the third to involve a vehicle deliberately driven at pedestrians.
Shortly after midnight, the hired vehicle swerved into a group of people leaving prayers at the Finsbury Park Mosque, one of the biggest in the country, witnesses said. The attack comes during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None