- Title: Mexico says seeking consensus resolution on Venezuela at OAS
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** GENERAL VIEW OF OFFICIALS ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE MEXICAN FOREIGN MINISTER LUIS VIDEGARAY AND OAS SECRETARY GENERAL LUIS ALMAGRO TAKING THEIR SEATS AT NEWS CONFERENCE GENERAL VIEW OF PANEL AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) OAS SECRETARY GENERAL LUIS ALMAGRO, SAYING: "It is very clear that Venezuela needs an integral electoral plan for national elections. Venezuela needs to abandon calls for a national constituent assembly. Venezuela needs to respect the powers of the National Assembly. Venezuela needs independent judges. Venezuela needs to free its political prisoners and end the torture of political prisoners who are victims and Venezuela needs an international humanitarian channel to provide food and medicine to the Venezuelan people. These issues if they are not resolved will continue, and so it is better to tackle them as soon as possible, and for Venezuela to recover its institutions as soon as possible." PANEL LISTENING TO QUESTIONS FROM JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MEXICAN FOREIGN MINISTER LUIS VIDEGARAY, SAYING: "We have of course had contact with Venezuelan government, to insist that we are happy that they are here, that they have not abandoned this meeting. They are here with a big delegation and have come to participate in the debates. Mexico's position has been very clear and this will not change. We believe that in Venezuela there has been a real deterioration." VIDEGARAY, ALMAGRO SHAKING HANDS AT END OF NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 17:50
- Keywords: Mexico OAS Organization of American States Venezuela Luis Videgaray Luis Almagro
- Location: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- City: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016LY3JNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Secretary General of the Organisation of American States (OAS) Luis Almagro called for elections in Venezuela on Monday (June 19) at the start of the General Assembly of the OAS in Cancun.
The OPEC nation has been wracked by protests and widespread discontent amidst product shortages, a flailing economy and widespread crime.
Maduro has rebuffed calls for an early election. Instead, he has proposed a constituent assembly with the power to change the constitution. The opposition fear the new body will be stacked with government supporters.
As host, Mexico will seek support for a resolution on Venezuela at the Cancun meeting
Some members of the OAS are seeking to censure Venezuelan for violating the group's democratic charter.
Venezuela has rejected such overtures, and in April announced it will begin the process to withdraw from the body.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None