- Title: Russia's Lavrov calls on U.S. to respect Syria's integrity
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF FOREIGN MINISTERS FROM BRICS NATIONS ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE, TAKING SEATS NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "We call on the U.S. and all the others who have forces or advisers on the ground to ensure our work is coordinated. The zones of de-escalation are one of possible options for joint progress. We call on everybody to avoid unilateral actions, to respect - I stress once again - Syria's sovereignty and to join our work which is coordinated with the Syrian government." JOURNALISTS FOREIGN MINISTERS FROM BRICS NATIONS LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE VARIOUS OF FOREIGN MINISTERS FROM BRICS NATIONS DURING MEETING CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTER, WANG YI, SHAKING HANDS WITH HIS BRAZIL COUNTERPART, ALOYSIO NUNES WANG YI SHAKING HANDS WITH HIS COUNTERPART FROM SOUTH AFRICA, MAITE NKOANA-MASHABANE, RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV AND INDIAN MINISTER OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS VIJAY KUMAR SINGH VARIOUS OF FOREIGN MINISTERS FROM BRICS NATIONS POSING FOR PICTURE AND LEAVING
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 11:34
- Keywords: Russia Syria US U.S. warplane Syrian army jet Raqqa province
- Location: BEIJING, RUSSIA
- City: BEIJING, RUSSIA
- Country: China
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016LY0JEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The United States should respect Syria's territorial integrity and refrain from unilateral actions in the country, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday (June 19) in Beijing where a two-day conference of BRICS ministers was taking place.
Lavrov made his remarks after a U.S. warplane shot down a Syrian army jet on Sunday (June 18) in the southern Raqqa countryside, with Washington saying the jet had dropped bombs near U.S.-backed forces and Damascus saying the plane was downed while flying a mission against Islamic State militants.
Lavrov also said that a new round of peace talks on Syria in Kazakhstan's capital Astana would take place on July 10.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None