- Title: Manager of Kangaba resort says she cannot account for all the guests
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: DOCTORS AROUND WOUNDED FROM THE ATTACK ON THE KANGABA RESORT ARM OF MAN SHOT IN THE ARM
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 01:27
- Keywords: Mali resort guests
- Location: BAMAKO, MALI
- Reuters ID: LVA0026LY00G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The manager of the Kangaba resort which was attacked outside Mali's capital Bamako on Sunday (June 18) said she could not account for all of the guests.
Up to 37 clients were rescued from the luxury resort after assailants shot at them earlier in the day killing at least two people and wounding more than ten, the hospital said. Thirty three were wounded, two of them seriously.
One of the fatalities was a Franco-Gabonese woman.
One of the guests, a Kenyan who had come to the resort several times, said he hid under the bed when he heard the shooting and was evacuated by the security forces.
Gunmen stormed Le Campement Kangaba near Dougourakoro, to the east of the capital Bamako, a resort foreign residents often visit for weekend breaks.
One witness interview on ORTM said he saw three assailants. The ministry of security said one of them was shot dead whilst another, who was wounded, ran away leaving a sub machine gun behind.
Malian security forces, United Nations peacekeeping mission vehicles and French military armoured vehicles were surrounding the resort, according to a Reuters witness. A helicopter was circling overhead.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None