- Title: Controlled explosion conducted at Brussels Central Station
- Date: 20th June 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JUNE 20, 2017) (REUTERS) SECURITY FORCES NEARBY CENTRAL STATION / AUDIO OF CONTROLLED EXPLOSION SOLDIERS WALKING THROUGH STREET POLICE OFFICERS STANDING NEAR STATION
- Embargoed: 4th July 2017 23:47
- Keywords: Belgium blast station controlled explosion police army
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016M34KLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Belgian security forces controlled out a controlled explosion at Brussels Central Station on Tuesday (June 20) police said, after troops had shot a suspected "terrorist" bomber in the building.
A loud explosion could be heard outside the building which had been secured by army and police personnel.
Federal prosecutor Eric Van Der Sypt told reporters some three hours after the incident that a small blast was being treated as a "terrorist attack". He said it was still unclear if the man was dead and his identity was still unknown. The suspect was still inside the station, he added.
He declined to comment on witness accounts that he had shouted Islamist slogans, including "Allahu Akbar" - God is greater, in Arabic - before detonating a device on a luggage trolley in an underground concourse of the rail station.
Police had quickly evacuated the station and surrounding areas of historic downtown Brussels after the incident around 8:30 p.m. (1830 GMT). The streets had been busy with tourists and locals enjoying a hot evening but were soon largely deserted and calm. Rail traffic was largely suspended.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None