- Title: South Korea confirms drone discovered in June was from North Korea
- Date: 21st June 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (FILE - APRIL 27, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SOUTH KOREAN DEFENCE MINISTRY SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG (CENTRE) AND MILITARY FLAGS
- Embargoed: 5th July 2017 04:05
- Keywords: South Korea Defence Ministry North Korea drone THAAD
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Reuters ID: LVA0026M7ZW3P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea's military said on Wednesday (June 21) a drone found earlier this month on a mountain near the Demilitarized Zone border was confirmed to have been from North Korea and described it as a "grave provocation" that violated the Korean War truce.
The drone crashed while returning to the North and was found equipped with a camera and aerial photographs of a U.S. anti-missile defence system site in a southern region of South Korea, South Korean officials told a briefing.
The origin and flight path of the drone were confirmed in an analysis of the onboard computer and camera, South Korea's defense ministry and military officials added.
The U.S. THAAD anti-defense system has been deployed in South Korea to counter a growing missile threat from North Korea. North Korean drones are known to have flown over South Korea several times.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None