- Title: At least 11 killed by mudslide in western Guatemala
- Date: 21st June 2017
- Summary: SAN PEDRO SOLOMA, HUEHUETENANGO, GUATEMALA (JUNE 20, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF HOMES DESTROYED BY MUDSLIDE RESIDENTS STANDING AMONGST DEBRIS VIEW LOOKING UP HILLSIDE WITH PATH OF DESTRUCTION LEFT BY MUDSLIDE THAT TOOK OUT ALL THE TREES RESIDENT AND EMERGENCY WORKER DAMAGED HOME WITH PATH OF MUDSLIDE SEEN UP THE HILLSIDE POLICE AND RESCUE WORKERS WALKING ALONG PATH OF MUDSLIDE LOOKING FOR SURVIVORS OBJECTS BURIED IN MUDSLIDE VARIOUS OF RESCUE WORKERS ASSESSING DAMAGE RESIDENTS STANDING BY A LARGE SINK FROM DAMAGED HOME DOGS WALKING AMONG DEBRIS NEAR DAMAGED HOME WOMAN AND DOG INSIDE DAMAGED HOME PEOPLE LOOKING OUT AT DESTROYED HOME INTERIOR OF DESTROYED HOME, MISSING WALLS AND ROOF PEOPLE LOOKING INTO A DESTROYED HOME WHICH HAS NO ROOF DISTRAUGHT RESIDENTS DESTROYED HOME (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) AREA RESIDENT, JUAN FRANCISCO JUAN, SAYING: "We heard several people were killed. So, we came to see. We came to have a look. It's always something sad like this." POT COVERED IN MUD CHILD'S DOLL IN DEBRIS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RESCUE WORKER, WALTER GOMEZ, SAYING: "We are projected to evacuate about 350 people. However, not everyone wants to leave the area. Conred (national disaster centre) is working to make a shelter area. Right now rescue crews along with the army, police and other bodies are recommending and even helping some people evacuate to a safer area because the engineers have determined that the area is very risky." ROAD BLOCKED BY MUDSLIDE MAN WALKING UP MUDSLIDE NEAR BLOCKED ROADSIDE SOLDIER ON PATROL SIGN WITH PICTURE OF JESUS THAT READS (Spanish): "GOD BLESS SAN PEDRO SOLOMA" RESIDENTS NEAR HOME DESTROYED BY MUDSLIDE CLOSE-UP OF HOME MISSING A ROOF RESIDENTS GATHERED OUTSIDE DAMAGED HOMES VARIOUS OF SECURITY WORKERS AND ARMY TROOPS
- Embargoed: 5th July 2017 14:02
- Keywords: Guatemala mudslide death bus
- Location: SAN PEDRO SOLOMA, HUEHUETENANGO, GUATEMALA
- City: SAN PEDRO SOLOMA, HUEHUETENANGO, GUATEMALA
- Country: Guatemala
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA0016M82MV7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least 11 people have died in western Guatemala after heavy rains caused a mudslide that swamped homes, spilled onto a highway and buried two buses early on Tuesday (June 20), emergency services said.
The buses were hit following the collapse of part of a hillside in the municipality of San Pedro Soloma, national disaster centre Conred said in a statement.
Ten of the fatalities were in a bus that was buried, and another was inside one of the homes, Conred added. Nine people were injured, it said.
Emergency services were working with local officials to establish how many homes may have been buried and how many people are missing, the statement noted.
Emergency workers said they were working to evacuate and temporarily house at least 350 people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None