- Title: Spain arrests "highly radicalised" Moroccan with suicide bomb manual
- Date: 21st June 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (JUNE 21, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE OPERATION IN PROGRESS POLICE OFFICER HOLDING WEAPON AND TALKING WITH POLICE WEARING BALACLAVAS SIGN READING THE NAME OF THE STREET "DIVINO VALLES" POLICE WEARING BALACLAVAS POLICE WEARING BALACLAVAS LEAVING THE BUILDING WHERE THE SUSPECTS WERE ARRESTED WITH BOXES POLICE LOADING TRUNK WITH BOXES SUSPECT WITH HIS HEAD COVERED WITH A JACKET BEING TAKEN TO POLICE CAR ANOTHER SUSPECT WITH HIS HEAD COVERED WITH A JACKET BEING TAKEN TO POLICE CAR WINDOW OF THE CAR WHERE ONE OF THE ARRESTED IS IN VARIOUS OF CARS AND POLICE VAN LEAVING THE AREA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) NEIGHBOUR OF SUSPECTS, CARLOS, SAYING: "Police did their job, a good job. Now we can be a bit more relaxed." EXTERIOR OF THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING WHERE THE SUSPECTS LIVED
- Embargoed: 5th July 2017 11:24
- Keywords: arrest Islamists Spain police Madrid
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016M815XJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spanish police arrested a 32-year-old Moroccan in a dawn raid in central Madrid on Wednesday (June 21) who they said was highly radicalised and had a large collection of extreme Islamist material including a manual for suicide bombers, the government said.
Police also arrested two other Moroccan men aged 38 and 33 who lived with the first man in the residential apartment, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
Television images released by police showed armed police in riot gear storming the apartment building before dawn and men dressed in white robes and motorcycle helmets being grappled to the ground and handcuffed outside the apartment block.
Officers returned to the apartment with the suspects to continue the investigation, Spain police said. The suspects had their heads covered with a jacket.
The man had an extremely dangerous profile, similar to that of those who carried out recent attacks in Britain and France, the government said in a press release.
He had tried to recruit others to carry out an Islamist attack in Spain, it said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None