- Title: Soccer player Di Maria strikes deal with Spanish prosecutor in tax case
- Date: 21st June 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - AUGUST 18, 2014) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** REAL MADRID WINGER ANGEL DI MARIA TRAINING WITH TEAM MATES MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - AUGUST 21, 2014) (REUTERS) DI MARIA TRAINING AS REAL MADRID COACH CARLO ANCELOTTI WATCHES ON REAL MADRID TRAINING SESSION IN PROGRESS DI MARIA JUMPING DURING TRAINING SESSION MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - AUGUST 5, 2014) (REUTERS) DI MARIA STRETCHING DURING TRAINING SESSION DI MARIA STRETCHING ALONGSIDE SPANISH MIDFIELDER XABI ALONSO (LEFT) AND PORTUGUESE DEFENDER FABIO COENTRAO (SECOND FROM LEFT) LISBON, PORTUGAL (FILE - MAY 23, 2014) (REUTERS) DI MARIA LEAVING REAL MADRID HOTEL LISBON, PORTUGAL (FILE - MAY 24, 2014) (REUTERS) DI MARIA RECEIVING HIS CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL MAN-OF-THE-MATCH AWARD FROM FORMER MANCHESTER UNITED MANAGER ALEX FERGUSON AFTER REAL MADRID BEAT ATLETICO MADRID 4-1 AFTER EXTRA TIME MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - MAY 25, 2014) (REUTERS) REAL MADRID PLAYERS CELEBRATING AT THE BERNABEU STADIUM AFTER WINNING THE 2014 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DI MARIA HOLDING A BABY WHILE STANDING NEXT TO REAL MADRID DEFENDER SERGIO RAMOS MUNICH, GERMANY (FILE - APRIL 28, 2014) (REUTERS) REAL MADRID PLAYERS STANDING IN A CIRCLE DURING A TRAINING SESSION DI MARIA AT THE TRAINING SESSION MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - JANUARY 24, 2014) (REUTERS) DI MARIA TRAINING WITH REAL MADRID TEAM MATES TRAINING SESSION IN PROGRESS DI MARIA SPEAKING TO ANCELOTTI
- Embargoed: 5th July 2017 14:59
- Keywords: Spain Real Madrid Angel Di Maria football tax
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN / LISBON, PORTUGAL / MUNICH, GERMANY
- City: MADRID, SPAIN / LISBON, PORTUGAL / MUNICH, GERMANY
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016M82X4V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former Real Madrid player Angel Di Maria has reached an agreement with Spanish prosecutors over a tax evasion charge related to his image rights, a Madrid-based court said on Wednesday (June 21).
Di Maria, who now plays for France's Paris St Germain, will plead guilty to two charges of tax fraud, carrying an eight-month prison sentence for each, and pay a 2 million euros ($2.23 million) settlement, the court said.
Under Spanish law, a first-time offender is not required to serve time in jail for a sentence below two years.
The Argentine midfielder is accused of failing to pay some 1.3 million euros to the Spanish tax authorities in 2012-2013 by giving up his image rights to companies based in tax havens, such as Panama.
It was not immediately possible to reach Di Maria's representatives for a comment.
The deal comes amid a lengthening list of cases of tax evasion by high-profile players such as Real Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho, whose charges date back to when he coached Real Madrid.
Mourinho's agents said he had already dealt with questions raised by tax authorities in 2015, settling issues with his 2011 and 2012 filings and reaching a settlement regarding 2013.
Ronaldo has denied any wrongdoing.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None