- Title: Car bomb targeting police station in Somalia's capital kills four - police
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA (JUNE 22, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FIRE IN STREET ARMED SECURITY OFFICERS / FIRE IN STREET WIDE OF FIRE IN STREET VARIOUS OF INJURED WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO INJURED MAN LYING ON GROUND
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 14:30
- Keywords: car bomb al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab Mogadishu African Union peacekeepers police station Maka al Mukarama road
- Location: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- City: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- Country: Somalia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA0016MD06YV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A car bomb targeting a police station killed at least four people in Somalia's capital Mogadishu on Thursday (June 22), police said.
The incident took place at Waberi police station, near Maka al Mukaram road, which is the busiest street in Mogadishu.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. However, in the past, al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab has claimed responsibility for gun and bomb attacks in the capital and other areas controlled by Somalia's federal government.
It wants to force out African Union peacekeepers, oust the Western-backed government and impose its strict interpretation of Islam.
At least 10 people were killed on Tuesday (June 20) in a car bomb attack on a government building in the Somali capital which was claimed by the group.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None