- Title: Foxconn plans U.S. display making plant for over $10 bln, scouting for location
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: NEW TAIPEI CITY, TAIWAN (JUNE 22, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF FOXCONN SIGN READING (Chinese/English): "HON HAI PRECISION IND. CO., LTD." VARIOUS OF SHAREHOLDERS WAITING IN LINE
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 12:24
- Keywords: Foxconn display making plant US location plant
- Location: NEW TAIPEI CITY, TAIWAN
- City: NEW TAIPEI CITY, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA0016MD02A5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Foxconn, the world's largest contract electronics maker and a major Apple Inc. supplier, plans to invest more than $10 billion in a display-making factory in the United States and will decide on the location of the plant next month.
The Taiwan-based firm has been eyeing U.S. investments for some time and its CEO, Terry Gou, had previously said the company hoped to spend over $7 billion to set up a display-making plant in the country - which has no panel-making industry but is the No. 2 market for televisions.
Foxconn, formally known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., is currently considering Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and North Carolina as possible locations, Gou told reporters after the company's annual shareholders meeting on Thursday.
Foxconn operates vast factories in China, where it employs a million people and makes most of Apple's iPhones, but so far it has not invested heavily in manufacturing in the United States.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None