- Title: Madrid gets ready to host World Pride festivities
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEOPLE DANCING AND CHEERING ON FLOATS PEOPLE DANCING ON FLOAT AND CROWD PEOPLE DANCING
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 13:28
- Keywords: World Pride Madrid festival party LGBT gay pride
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0036MD1CUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Madrid prepared on Thursday (June 22) to host the 10-day World Pride festivities which are expected to attract three million people from 23 June to July 2.
World Pride is hosted annually by a different city.
On Thursday rainbow flags and souvenirs were visible in the city centre and markets, shops and bars in the gay neighbourhood Chueca were setting up ahead of the festivities.
Madrid City Council also installed pedestrian traffic lights ahead of World Pride featuring same-sex couple in order to promote diversity.
Madrid's pride parade, to be held on July 1, is the largest in Europe.
Spain was the third country in the world to legalise same-sex marriage in 2005. It has since then passed more laws in favour of LGBT rights despite recent transphobic campaigns by far-right groups.
The country held its first gay pride event in 1977, 40 years ago, only two years after the end of the dictatorship of Francisco Franco, when being gay was a crime.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.