- Title: Madrid gets ready to host World Pride festivities
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (JUNE 22, 2017) (REUTERS) METRO STOP OF MADRID'S GAY NEIGHBOURHOOD CHUECA WITH SIGN BESIDE IT READING (Spanish) "Diversity: Madrid's Pride, Freedom: Madrid's Pride" EXTERIOR OF SHOP WITH MANNEQUINS WEARING RAINBOW FLAG SOCKS SOCKS WITH THE COLOURS OF THE RAINBOW DIFFERENT COLOUR SHIRTS SET UP ON STAND LIKE A RAINBOW POLICE STANDING BY ICE-CREAM SIGN READING "Gaylippo" STREET WITH RAINBOW FLAGS HANGING FROM BALCONIES AND SHOPS MAN ON BALCONY WITH RAINBOW FLAG BESIDE HIM EXTERIOR OF MARKET WITH THE RAINBOW FLAG AT THE ENTRANCE PEOPLE WALKING ON THE STREET WITH RAINBOW FLAGS HANGING VARIOUS OF MAN SPRAY-PAINTING SHOP DOOR WITH RAINBOW COLOURS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LOCAL LIQUOR STORE OWNER, CLOTILDE, SAYING: "The truth is we are really happy because, aside from what it represents for tolerance and everything it can contribute at a human level, it's also going to contribute to the city at a financial level. We are expecting about three million people and we are going to work a lot over ten days." VARIOUS OF PUBLIC BATHROOMS BEING SET UP ON THE STREETS OF CHUECA BAR IN A CORNER WITH RAINBOW FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REVELLER FROM CHILE, OSVALDO, SAYING: "I think it's going to be huge because it's the World Pride, everything will collapse for sure but at the same it's really good to be able to be in touch with people from everywhere. I am from Chile but I live in Canada where you have a lot of cultures too, but when you see this it's more exciting." VARIOUS OF COOKIES AND CAKES BAKED WITH THE COLOURS OF THE RAINBOW (SOUNDBITE) (English) REVELLER FROM SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A. LIVING IN MADRID, DAVID, SAYING: "First thing a lot of fun, just to have a lot of fun. But also just to see the diversity of the world, and gays and lesbians from all over the world. I really would like to see people from places where I don't typically see them, you know Asia, India, Africa, that would be nice, so I am hoping that I see more diversity than on the typical gay pride parade." VARIOUS OF MEN SETTING UP BUNTING AT BAR VARIOUS OF FLOWERS WITH THE COLOURS OF THE RAINBOW AT BALCONY AND MANNEQUIN WEARING RAINBOW FLAG AND DRESS MADRID, SPAIN (RECENT) (REUTERS) PEDESTRIAN TRAFFIC LIGHTS SHOWING TWO WOMEN AND PEOPLE CROSSING THE STREET VARIOUS OF PEDESTRIAN TRAFFIC LIGHTS
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 13:28
- Keywords: World Pride Madrid festival party LGBT gay pride
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016MD1CUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Madrid prepared on Thursday (June 22) to host the 10-day World Pride festivities which are expected to attract three million people from 23 June to July 2.
World Pride is hosted annually by a different city.
On Thursday rainbow flags and souvenirs were visible in the city centre and markets, shops and bars in the gay neighbourhood Chueca were setting up ahead of the festivities.
Madrid City Council also installed pedestrian traffic lights ahead of World Pride featuring same-sex couple in order to promote diversity.
Madrid's pride parade, to be held on July 1, is the largest in Europe.
Spain was the third country in the world to legalise same-sex marriage in 2005. It has since then passed more laws in favour of LGBT rights despite recent transphobic campaigns by far-right groups.
The country held its first gay pride event in 1977, 40 years ago, only two years after the end of the dictatorship of Francisco Franco, when being gay was a crime.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None