- Title: Indonesian police arrest nine people linked to Jakarta suicide bombing
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** POLICE HOLDING UP BAGS OF EVIDENCE FROM BLAST FLAKES OF POT BOMB USED BY BOMBER IN PLASTIC BAG POLICE LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 08:31
- Keywords: Indonesia Indonesian police arrest blast suicide bombing Jakarta
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0036MCZZ2D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Indonesian police on Thursday (June 22) said they had arrested nine suspects linked to last month's suicide bombing in the capital Jakarta, and an additional 31 suspects linked to other terrorist networks.
At least three police officers were killed and 12 people wounded on May 24 in twin blasts at a bus station in east Jakarta. The attack was claimed by Islamic State group and was the deadliest in Indonesia since January 2016.
Police unveiled personal details and photographs of all the suspects - 40 of which were arrested in several different cities over the past month and a further two of which were killed in the attack itself - during a news conference in the capital on Thursday, and said the additional arrests were considered a "preventive" measure.
The police also held up evidence they said revealed pressure cookers packed with explosives had been used.
Long-standing plans to reform Indonesia's 2003 anti-terrorism laws have been held up by opposition from some parties in parliament and concerns about individual rights. The revisions would broaden the definition of terrorism and give police the power to detain suspects without trial for longer.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None