- Title: LA's kids celebrate Olympic Day at the beach.
- Date: 24th June 2017
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JUNE 23, 2017) (REUTERS) GROUP SHOT OF ADULTS AND CHILDREN TAKING PART IN THE EVENT ATTENDEES POSING AND CHEERING WITH MASCOT (SOUNDBITE) (English) OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST IN SWIMMING AND LA 2024 VICE CHAIR JANET EVANS SAYING: "I am honored to be here today as an Olympian but also as a Vice-Char of the LA 2024 Olympic Bid Committee trying to bring the Olympics and Paralympic Games home to our great city." CROWD CHEERING AND PAN OF CROWD (SOUNDBITE) (English) OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST IN SWIMMING AND LA 2024 VICE CHAIR JANET EVANS SAYING: "As we know, Olympic Day, today is more than just a celebration of the Olympic and the Paralympic Games, it also celebrates the value of sport. The modern Olympic Games were founded in 1894 but the ancient games began in 776 BC so in a way we're celebrating a movement that is in its third millennium of existence. I think it's pretty cool to be a part of that." ATTENDEES STROLLING AROUND THE OLYMPIC DAY EVENT OLYMPIC DAY SIGNAGE AT EVENT
- Embargoed: 8th July 2017 01:00
- Keywords: Olympic Day Los Angeles LA LA 2024 Santa Monica Olympian Janet Evans Jesse Smith
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016MI34NB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: LA has been celebrating Olympic Day at the beach.
LA 2024, the LA84 Foundation, the United States Olympic Committee and The Foundation for Global Sports Development hosted sports clinics for 500 young Angelenos at Will Rogers State Beach, hosting the American flagship Olympic Day Celebration on Friday (June 23). Young Angelenos participated in eight Olympic and Paralympic sports including track and field, fencing, table tennis, volleyball, sitting volleyball, rugby, handball and gymnastics. They were joined by more than 30 Team USA Olympians and Paralympians.
LA is competing against Paris to host the 2024 Olympics.
Olympic Day is held annually on June 23 to commemorate the birth of the Olympic Games in 1894 and is celebrated by millions of people in over 160 countries. Its mission is to promote fitness, well-being, culture and education, while promoting the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.