- Title: Hezbollah says future Israel war could draw more fighters than in 2006
- Date: 23rd June 2017
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON (JUNE 23, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HEZBOLLAH SUPPORTERS GATHERING UP AT THE CEREMONY HEZBOLLAH SUPPORTERS LISTEN TO NASRALLAH SPEECH ON SCREEN
- Embargoed: 7th July 2017 18:13
- Keywords: Hezbollah War Israel Crisis Mideast Nasrallah Iran Lebanon
- Location: BEIRUT AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016MI2KW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS 16:9 AND 4:3 MATERIAL
Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said on Friday (June 23) that a future war waged by Israel against Syria or Lebanon could draw thousands of fighters from countries including Iran, Iraq and Yemen.
His comments indicated that the same array of Iranian-backed Shi'ite militias - but not countries - currently fighting in Syria in support of President Bashar al-Assad could take part in any future conflict with Israel.
Tensions have risen between Hezbollah and its long-time rival Israel in recent months since Donald Trump became U.S. president with his tough talk against Iran.
Israel's air force chief said his country would use all its strength from the start in any new war with Hezbollah.
Nasrallah has repeatedly warned Israel against attacking Lebanon, where the Iran-backed Shi'ite group is based, and from where it sends fighters to support Assad against insurgents. He says Hezbollah's rocket arsenal can hit any military target in Israel, which is Lebanon's southern neighbour.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None