- Title: Syrian Democratic Forces continue to fight Islamic State for control of Raqqa
- Date: 3rd July 2017
- Summary: RAQQA, SYRIA (JULY 3, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RAQQA SKYLINE AS AUDIO OF GUNFIRE IS HEARD SDF FIGHTERS RUNNING ALONG ROAD SDF FIGHTERS RUNNING ACROSS ROAD WHILE FIRING ASSAULT RIFLE FOUR SDF FIGHTERS RUNNING ACROSS ROAD WHILE FIRING ASSAULT RIFLES ROAD WITH DESTROYED CARS PARKED VARIOUS OF SDF FIGHTERS STANDING TOGETHER, TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) YPG UNIT COMMANDER, AHMED, SAYING: â€œThe Daesh fighters are not moving, they are hiding behind the sand berm. So we are not making any moves, we are waiting to move forward, we are waiting for instructions. Now we are here as a line of defence and they are right there, by the wall, they are not moving, their warfare tactics are snipers and mines. That is why we are not moving forward, because we don't want more casualties.â€ SDF FIGHTER RUNNING ALONGSIDE OF ROAD CARRYING ASSAULT RIFLE THREE SDF FIGHTERS WALKING BETWEEN BUILDINGS AS AUDIO OF GUNFIRE IS HEARD SDF FIGHTER RUNNING TO TAKE COVER BEHIND WALL VARIOUS OF SDF FIGHTERS TAKING AMMUNITION OUT OF BOX AND PUTTING IT ON MATERIAL ON GROUND SDF FIGHTERS TALKING TO EACH OTHER RUBBLE AND DAMAGED CAR AND BUILDINGS ROAD WITH RUBBLE AT SIDES OF ROAD ROAD WITH WHAT IS BELIEVED TO BE DEAD ISLAMIC STATE FIGHTER ON GROUND
- Embargoed: 17th July 2017 19:00
- Keywords: Raqqa Islamic State IS SDF Kurds Kurdish forces
- Location: RAQQA, SYRIA
- City: RAQQA, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016O5ZNT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) were seen holding an eastern district of Raqqa on Monday (July 3), having retaken it following an Islamic State (IS) counterattack on Friday (June 30).
Ahmed, a unit commander for the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia, which is spearheading the SDF Raqqa offensive, told Reuters both IS and the YPG were not currently pushing forward in the Hay al Sinaa district.
IS are acting defensively, using snipers and mines he said, before adding that he was awaiting instructions.
The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) deployed around a thousand additional fighters to the front lines with Islamic State in Raqqa on Sunday (July 2), the SDF media office said.
The fighters were sent to the east and west of the city, Islamic State's de facto capital in Syria. The SDF launched its U.S.-backed assault to capture Raqqa last month.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None