- Title: French court expected to postpone trial verdict of Duchess of Cambridge pictures
- Date: 3rd July 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - MARCH 18, 2017) (AGENCY POOL) VARIOUS OF DUKE AND DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE, PRINCE WILLIAM AND CATHERINE, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS IN FRONT OF EIFFEL TOWER
- Embargoed: 17th July 2017 15:33
- Keywords: Duchess of Cambridge photos Catherine Duke of Cambridge Prince William royals topless paparazzi Closer France
- Location: PARIS, VIENS, MONTROUGE AND NANTERRE, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, VIENS, MONTROUGE AND NANTERRE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0016O5ZDJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE THIS IS THE FINAL CORRECTION: TRIAL VERDICT TO BE POSTPONED, DATE TO BE CONFIRMED
A French court is expected to hold a hearing on Monday (July 3) to postpone the trial verdict over topless pictures taken and published of Britain's Duchess of Cambridge in 2012.
The Duchess and her husband Prince William pressed at the time for criminal charges in France to try to prevent wider publication of the pictures, which were taken of them on a balcony of a private residence during their stay in the Luberon region on September 7, 2012.
Celebrity gossip magazine Closer was among the media who published the photos, with Buckingham Palace at the time calling the photo spread a "grotesque" invasion of the royal couple's privacy.
In a previous hearing in the same French court in May 2017, one of the photographers being tried, Valerie Suau of La Provence, told the hearing she did not know that the royal couple were on a private property when she took the photographs. In all six photographers and journalists stand accused.
The verdict, which was expected on Tuesday, may be given in September.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None