- Title: From the New Look to now: new exhibition showcases 70 years of Dior
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JULY 4, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF MUSEUM OF DECORATIVE ARTS WITH BANNER READING: "CHRISTIAN DIOR" LETTERING ON BANNER READING: "DIOR" PEOPLE ENTERING MUSEUM PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 23, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COUTURIERS DRESSING MANNEQUINS TAPE MEASURE AND MATERIALS ON TABLE COUTURIER WORKING PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 22, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIOR EXHIBITION CO-CURATOR, FLORENCE MULLER, SAYING: "These 70 years of the history of Dior teaches us how the house of Dior was founded on a very strong idea, and you don't last so long if you don't have a strong gesture, a strong concept, that is founding the house and that will last for so long." PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 23, 2017) (REUTERS) ROOM UNDER PREPARATION FOR EXHIBITION WITH MANNEQUINS IN WHITE DIOR DESIGNS PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 22, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIOR EXHIBITION CO-CURATOR, FLORENCE MULLER, SAYING: "The concept of Christian Dior was in fact very simple but very universal. His idea was to give back to the women, femininity and beauty. He wanted really to make the woman looking great, beautiful and in this way, to make them happy, you know. And it was a strong message during this moment, which was after the Second World War and the fashion of this time was still very in the mood of the forties."
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 16:54
- Keywords: Dior France Paris exhibition Christian Dior Maria Grazia Chiuri Florence Muller Olivier Gabet
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Fashion,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OAZI3D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Paris Museum of Decorative Arts' new exhibition "Christian Dior, designer of dreams" will open its doors to the public on Wednesday (July 5), in celebration of the fashion house's 70th anniversary.
Big names such as Natalie Portman, Cara Delevingne and Gemma Arterton attended a VIP preview on Monday, along with French first lady, Brigitte Macron, and Paris mayor, Anne Hidalgo.
The show traces the history of the house from the iconic designs of founder, Christian Dior, through those by Yves Saint Laurent, John Galliano and Raf Simons to the latest creative director, and first woman, Maria Grazia Chiuri.
Over 300 haute couture dresses designed in the period from 1947 to the present day are exhibited alongside sketches, photographs, manuscripts, works of art and furniture that served as an inspiration for the designers, putting the creations in their cultural context.
The exhibition's curators, Florence Muller and Olivier Gabet -- who is also director of the museum -- brought together works from abroad as well as from the museum's own collection, organised chronologically and thematically.
The museum held a Dior retrospective in 1987 focusing on the house's first ten years. This time, almost 3,000 square metres of exhibition space are dedicated to the exhibition, which runs until January 7, 2018.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None