- Title: Ex-Mexican governor likely extradited from Guatemala by end - July -lawyer
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA (JULY 04, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** FORMER VERACRUZ GOVERNOR FACING EXTRADITION TO MEXICO ON CORRUPTION CHARGES, JAVIER DUARTE, ESCORTED BY POLICE WITH MEDIA GATHERED AROUND DUARTE PASSING THROUGH METAL DETECTOR TO ARRIVE AT COURTHOUSE WITH MEDIA GATHERED AROUND HIM TO ASK QUESTIONS ON CASE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FORMER VERACRUZ GOVERNOR, JAVIER DUARTE, SAYING: "There will be a press release at the end of the hearing to give current information on all the elements that will be established today." DUARTE TELLING MEDIA NOT TO HIT EACH OTHER AS HE WALKS THROUGH COURTHOUSE DUARTE WALKING INTO COURT FOR HEARING DUARTE'S FACE DURING HEARING DUARTE SMILING AS HE SITS NEXT TO HIS LAWYER DURING HEARING JUDGES DURING HEARING OFFICER TAKING OFF DUARTE'S HANDCUFFS DURING HEARING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROSECUTOR, JOSE ANTONIO GALDAMEZ, SAYING: "I call on the court to resolve the extradition request of Javier Duarte Ochoa, whose identity has already been revealed during this process." DUARTE LISTENING ON DURING HEARING DUARTE'S HANDS ON DESK DURING HEARING JUDGES LISTENING ON DURING HEARING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) FORMER VERACRUZ GOVERNOR, JAVIER DUARTE, SAYING: "I have decided to accept the formal extradition process presented by the Mexican government in relation to federal crimes concerning operations illicit funds and organised crime. I did not commit those crimes and it is my wish to prove this before judges in my country." JUDGES TALKING TO EACH OTHER DURING HEARING DUARTE SITTING WITH LEGAL TEAM DURING HEARING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) JUDGE, SAUL ALVAREZ, SAYING: "This court has permitted the voluntary acceptance by Javier Duarte Ochoa of extradition against him by the United States of Mexico. As a result, the (hearing) procedures on extradition are suspended and his immediate handover to the United States of Mexico has been ordered." DUARTE LOOKING AT DOCUMENT DURING HEARING GENERAL VIEW OF HEARING IN PROGRESS DUARTE WALKING OVER TO PROSECUTORS TO SHAKE THEIR HANDS, GIVES PROSECUTORS THE THUMBS UP AS HE WALKS OUT OF COURT DUARTE MOVING HIS WAY THROUGH MEDIA SCRUM GATHERED AROUND HIM AND INTO ELEVATOR DUARTE SPEAKING IN RHYME TO MEDIA GATHERED AROUND HIM DUARTE ESCORTED THROUGH PARKING AREA UNDER COURTHOUSE WITH CHEERS HEARD IN THE BACKGROUND DUARTE ESCORTED INTO POLICE VEHICLE VEHICLE CARRYING DUARTE DRIVING OFF AS MEDIA GATHER AROUND CAR WINDOWS
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 23:10
- Keywords: corruption allegations Guatemala Mexico ex Veracruz government extradition Javier Duarte
- Location: GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA
- City: GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA
- Country: Guatemala
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OAYYBN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Javier Duarte, a former state governor from Mexico's ruling party wanted on charges of embezzlement and organised crime, is likely to be extradited from Guatemala by the end of this month, his legal team told media after a hearing in Guatemala City on Tuesday (July 04).
The former governor has been accused of using state institutions to funnel public funds into private companies.
Last week, Duarte accepted a request relating to state offences for his extradition, and in Tuesday's court appearance the 43-year-old also agreed to the federal extradition demand.
Duarte, who governed Veracruz for President Enrique Pena Nieto's Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) until last year, denies any wrongdoing. He told judges he wants to prove his innocence in Mexico.
Under Duarte's rule, Veracruz descended into a chaotic cycle of violence, with mass graves having been discovered after he left office.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None