- Title: U.N. rights chief Zeid in talks with Chinese officials on Liu
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - 1995) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) DISSIDENT LIU XIAOBO WALKING INTO LIVING ROOM LIU SEATED READING PAPER LIU READING CIGARETTE IN LIU'S HAND
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 12:02
- Keywords: Liu Xiaobo Liu Xia cancer China Nobel Peace Prize
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND AND BEIJING, CHINA
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND AND BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026OAYG5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein has met Chinese officials regarding Nobel Peace Prize winning activist Liu Xiaobo, who has late stage cancer, and discuss access for his wife Liu Xia, a U.N. spokeswoman said on Tuesday.
Liu Xiaobo's "time is limited" due to a fluid build up around his stomach caused by liver scarring, a family member said, after authorities said Liu could not be moved abroad due to his illness.
Now 61, he was jailed for 11 years in 2009 for "inciting subversion of state power" after he helped write a petition known as "Charter 08" calling for sweeping political reforms.
His wife, Liu Xia, has been under effective house arrest since her husband won the peace prize in 2010 for his human rights activism.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None