- Title: Police step up security at state borders and in host city Hamburg ahead of G20
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: HAMBURG, GERMANY (JULY 4, 2017) (REUTERS) FIRE BRIGADE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES BOATS ON ALSTER LAKE HELICOPTER FLYING OVER ALSTER WITH HAMBURG SKYLINE IN BACKGROUND POLICE BOATS ON ALSTER VARIOUS OF HELICOPTER COMING IN TO LAND OVER LAKE MAN GIVING HELICOPTER INSTRUCTIONS HELICOPTER TAKING OFF AGAIN POLICE BOATS ON LAKE VARIOUS OF U.S. HELICOPTER LANDING AND TAKING OFF POLICE BOATS ON LAKE VARIOUS OF POLICE SEALING MANHOLE COVERS POLICE AACHEN BORDER ROAD A4 (JULY 4, 2017) (REUTERS) WIDE OF BORDER CONTROLS POLICE VARIOUS OF WHITE VAN BEING PULLED UP VARIOUS OF CAR BOOT BEING CHECKED VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING AT VEHICLES TRAFFIC CUSTOMS POLICE CARS BEING PULLED OVER (SOUNDBITE) (German) NORTH-RHINE WESTPHALIA POLICE SPOKESMAN, BERND KUEPPERS, SAYING: "We hope to stop those who are hoping to travel to the G20 summit to commit violence, at the start of their journey. This means that if we identify potential perpetrators here at the border we will check them out and if we ascertain that they are carrying arms or anything similar then they will not be allowed in." POLICEMAN STANDING IN TRAFFIC POLICEMAN CHECKING CAR (SOUNDBITE) (German) NORTH-RHINE WESTPHALIA POLICE SPOKESMAN, BERND KUEPPERS, SAYING: "There is now a stronger networking between the federal and state officials but also with neighbouring country authorities. That means that we are carrying out mutual surveillance measures to combat criminality in the region." VARIOUS OF POLICE
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 14:58
- Keywords: G20 security Germany border checks
- Location: HAMBURG + AACHEN, GERMANY
- City: HAMBURG + AACHEN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: G20,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OAXJRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German police on Tuesday (July 4) reinforced federal border patrols and heightened security in the northern city of Hamburg ahead of the upcoming G20 summit.
In Hamburg police and U.S. secret services tested helicopter landing and take-off routes in case of any potential emergency evacuation requirements.
Police manning various German borders have stepped up security in an attempt to stop any potential threats from entering the country.
The G20 summit takes place from 7-8 July.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None