- Title: Peru reveals replica of pre-Hispanic ruler, the 'Lady of Cao'
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** MEDIA AND AUDIENCE GATHERED FOR ANNOUNCEMENT PRESENTATION OF 3D REPLICA OF "THE LADY OF CAO" VARIOUS OF 3D REPLICA OF "LADY OF CAO'S" FACE GOING AROUND IN CIRCLE AS CROWD WATCHES ON DETAIL OF 3D SCAN OF "LADY OF CAO'S" FACE ON DISPLAY REMAINS OF "LADY OF CAO" ON DISPLAY AT EVENT WITH CROWDS STANDING AROUND REMAINS OF "LADY OF CAO" LYING FLAT ON DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 21:25
- Keywords: Lady of Cao mummy replica face ruler Peru history
- Location: LIMA, TRUJILLO, PERU
- City: LIMA, TRUJILLO, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0076OAZ29V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: She died some 1,700 years ago, after ruling over a desert valley in ancient Peru where her elaborately tattooed body was buried with weapons, crowns and gold-plated copper.
But the likeness of the famed former priestess, the Lady of Cao, can now be glimpsed in a replica of her face that was unveiled by culture officials and archaeologists on Monday (July 04).
Using 3D imaging technology and forensics archaeology, the replica was based on the Lady of Cao's skull structure and ethnographic research and took ten months to create, Peru's culture ministry said.
The goal, said Culture Minister Salvador del Solar, is to bring the world closer to one of Peru's best archaeological finds and remind Peruvians of their rich cultural heritage.
Investigators behind the 3D replica say the face of the "Lady of Cao's" face reveals insights into the genetic development of Peruvians.
The Lady of Cao shattered the belief that the ancient Moche people, who occupied the Chicama Valley from about 100-700, was patriarchal. After she was discovered in 2005, several other female mummies were found in graves with objects denoting their high political and religious standing.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.