- Title: Pepe signs for Besiktas
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (JULY 5, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PORTUGUESE INTERNATIONAL PLAYER PEPE ARRIVING FOR PRESS CONFERENCE CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PORTUGUESE INTERNATIONAL PLAYER PEPE SAYING: "I spent ten years at (Real) Madrid. For me, they were 10 marvellous years. The fans are very fond of me and I love them back. It's a club which has given me everything. A city which has been good to me as well, where both my daughters were born. I've had good moments there and other not so good ones. But that's life. I had the opportunity to win three league titles and won the Champions League three times. We won a lot of titles for Madrid. As I said before, the reason I chose Besiktas, was the affection of the people, the chairman of your team and the fans, who for me are a fundamental aspect. I identified with all that, with the affection the club has bestowed on me and I hope to contribute, with my work, dedication and love to this club now because, as I said, I identify with everything they have done for me. On the club level, I won what I could've won. Now here with Besiktas, my aim is to keep on winning a lot of cups so that at the end of the year, we are all happy." CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) PORTUGUESE INTERNATIONAL PLAYER, PEPE, SAYING: "I've been watching some (Besiktas) games from last year with (Ricardo) Quaresma. Quaresma has said he's a person... he's a very capable trainer, he's already shown that. I hope to be able to have the luck to win titles with Besiktas. I have no doubt this could happen. That's why I'm here today. Because if I didn't think Besiktas could continue winning titles, I wouldn't be here. I hope to enjoy it here as much as possible, to make everyone happy and also to give back the affection that's been given to me for my work and dedication and that the coach can always count on me for whatever he needs." CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) PORTUGUESE INTERNATIONAL PLAYER, PEPE, SAYING: "This was something... I was sharply judged in Spain because of what happened against Getafe, but I didn't change how I play, I've always stayed the same. Really, I'm still looking for an explanation to that, but I haven't found one. It's in the past. Statistics show the player that I am is a player who in games always tries to do his best. I try to protect my posts, my goal so that they can't score a goal. And that's why I have to play hard when it is needed. I have to give my best so the forwards can't easily get into the area and put together plays on the goal. I hope to continue doing that here with Besiktas, to be able to help my teammates and my club." PHOTOGRAPHER FILMING PEPE SHAKING HANDS WITH BESIKTAS CLUB CHAIRMAN FIKRET ORMAN CAMERAMAN FILMING PEPE MAKING THE BESIKTAS CLUB GESTURE OF "Eagle Claw" TO MEDIA CAMERAMAN FILMING PEPE SIGNING
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 15:32
- Keywords: Pepe Besiktas Real Madrid Portugal
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OFY4VZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Portugal international Pepe has signed for Besiktas, the Turkish champions announced on Wednesday (July 5), bringing to an end 10 incident-packed years with Spanish giants Real Madrid.
The 34-year-old Brazilian-born defender joined Real from Porto in 2007 for 30 million euros ($34.05 million), winning the Liga title in his first campaign. His contract with Real expired last month and, according to reports in the Turkish media, he will sign a two-year contract with Besiktas.
He leaves Real after winning three La Liga titles, two King's Cup trophies and following three Champions League triumphs, although he missed this year's European Cup final victory against Juventus due to injury.
Pepe gained infamy in his second season in Spain for kicking out at Getafe's Javier Casquero after fouling him and then punching Juan Albin in a game in April 2009, earning a 10-game ban, and later said he had "lost control".
He was sent off four times for Real, including a red card for a lunge on Barcelona's Dani Alves in a Champions League semi-final first leg in 2011, but will be fondly remembered by the Madrid club's fans for his spirited performances and consistent partnership with Sergio Ramos.
Pepe has made 86 appearances for Portugal and was named Man of the Match in the Euro 2016 final win over France. He scored an added time equaliser in Sunday's Confederations Cup third place playoff game against Mexico to send it into extra time in which the European champions won 2-1.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None