- Title: Peruvian farmers hold 'white march' in the name of pure dairy
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: LIMA, PERU (JULY 5, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTEST WITH HUNDREDS OF CATTLE RANCHERS FROM MILK INDUSTRY, COMING FROM VARIOUS PARTS OF PERU, DEMANDING THAT THE GOVERNMENT ENACTS A LAW THAT PROHIBITS THE MIX OF FRESH COW MILK WITH POWDERED MILK PROTESTERS CHANTING "RANCHERS UNITED, WILL NEVER BE CONQUERED" RANCHER RANCHER POSES NEXT TO HIS COW RANCHER GETTING CLOSE TO COW TO MILK IT COW BEING MILKED PROTESTER GETS FRESH MILK PROTESTER DRINKING FRESH MILK PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGNS DEMANDING PERUVIAN PEDRO PABLO KUCZYNSKI TO APPROVE A LAW THAT LOOKS TO FORBADE THE MIXING OF FRESH MILK WITH POWDERED MILK SIGN READING "WE ARE ALL FRESH MILK" CLOSE-UP OF PROTESTER CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) YOHNNY LESCANO, POPULAR ACTION LAWMAKER SAYING: "Congress has approved a law that prohibits mixing fresh milk from Peru with powdered milk from elsewhere, let me repeat because it has a lower nutritional value from using fresh Peruvian milk. In the hands of President (Pedro Pablo) Kuczynski is this law, the prohibition of mixing this fresh milk with milk of lower quality, powdered milk from abroad. We've put together this protest with the ranchers and producers and other congressmen demanding that Mr. Kuczynski pass the law." DISTRIBUTION OF BOTTLES OF FRESH MILK RANCHER SERVING FRESH MILK THAT CHILD DRINKS WORKERS FROM THE MILK INDUSTRY DISTRIBUTING BOTTLES OF MILK, MORE THAN 3,000 LITRES WERE DISTRIBUTED TO THE PUBLIC PRESENT
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 20:30
- Keywords: march farmers agriculture Lima dairy Peru controversy milk soy protest
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OG00UB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Peruvian dairy farmers, ranchers and producers took matters -- and udders -- in their own hands on Wednesday (July 5). Organizers held a 'white march' to demand that Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski sign into law a bill that would prohibit Peruvian fresh milk from being cut with powdered milk from abroad.
Lawmakers at the rally in Lima said the bill had already been approved by congress, but that it was up to Kuczynski to see that it become law. Congressman Yohnny Lescano said mixing fresh milk with powdered milk lowers its nutritional value.
Organizers said over 3,000 litres of milk were distributed to members of the public who attended the rally.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None