- Title: Temer defense lawyer says Brazilian President "committed no crimes"
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: BRASILIA, BRAZIL (RECENT) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF CONGRESS BUILDING
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 21:58
- Keywords: President Michel Temer defence lawyer corruption allegations trial Brazil Brasilia
- Location: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0036OG06DF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The lawyer for President Michel Temer told media on Wednesday (July 05) that his client is innocent, shortly after the Brazilian leader filed a challenge to corruption allegations.
Temer has been charged in connection with a graft scheme involving the world's largest meatpacker, JBS SA. Executives said in plea-bargain testimony the president took bribes for resolving tax matters, freeing up loans from state-run banks and other matters.
Temer has called the allegations against him as "weak" and his lawyer Antonio Mariz said a challenge has been launched.
Under Brazilian law, two-thirds of the lower house of Congress must vote to approve any criminal charge against a sitting president, who could then only be tried by the Supreme Court. Temer has expressed the move will not pass Congress.
Last week, Brazilian Prosecutor-General Rodrigo Janot said he would likely level new charges of racketeering and obstruction of justice against Temer in the coming weeks. Each charge would require lawmakers to vote on whether or not to defend the deeply unpopular president from being tried.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None