- Title: Venezuelan lawmakers bloodied in pro-government raid on National Assembly
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JULY 5, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PUSHING THEIR WAY INTO THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 19:49
- Keywords: Venezuela bloodied fight attack raid lawmakers
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OFZLTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least four lawmakers were bloodied when a group of pro-government supporters raided Venezuela's National Assembly on Wednesday (July 5), injuring several lawmakers and journalists and parliament employees, lawmakers said.
Witnesses said they beat up the lawmakers who were seen in Reuters footage with gashes to their heads.
The fracas came after an assembly session to mark Independence Day at the building in downtown Caracas. Various small explosions were heard, possibly from fireworks thrown into the legislative compound, witnesses said.
Government-opposition lawmaker Miguel Pizarro alleged that the pro-government group made their way into the parliament under the "complacent watch of security services."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None