- Title: Ahead of fractious G20, Germany and China pledge new cooperation
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JULY 5, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING AND CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL JOURNALISTS MERKEL AND XI WALKING TO MICROPHONES (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "Over lunch we will discuss the international situation in more depth. We already started last night, obviously with the topics of North Korea but also the United Nation's rule and the preparation for the G20 summit where we will have difficult negotiations. Bringing together 20 states with their individual developments and their ideas is not that easy. But we are working closely together in the troika and China together with Argentina is part of this troika." REPORTER TYPING ON LAPTOP (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We want a quick signing of an investment treaty which will one day lead to a full free trade agreement with China." CAMERAS 7 (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We also discussed an intensive and strong civil society. We have the human rights dialogue which in my view we must continue and see that the individual parts of society can express themselves well. In this context civil society can in my view be further strengthened." CAMERA CREWS 9 (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We have also intensified the issue of security cooperation. There is cooperation both in the cyber sector as also in the fight against international terrorism. I believe there is still quite a lot of room to further intensify this cooperation." REPORTER TYPING ON LAPTOP COMPUTER (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We discussed the bilateral possibility to cooperate with third countries. We have just signed an agreement to build a hydro power station in Angola. So we can act together in Africa or in Afghanistan." PHOTOGRAPHER TAKING PICTURE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE PRESIDENT, XI JINPING, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL GERMAN TRANSLATION): "During my last visit to Germany I met German leaders. There is an extensive strategic partnership between China and Germany and so we have newly positioned our relations. This is pioneering for our relations. We are happy to note that thanks to mutual efforts on both sides Chinese-German relations have reached a new phase in which we are moving on a peak level." NOTEPAD IN REPORTER'S HAND XI AND MERKEL WALKING TO THEIR RESPECTIVE FLAGS, SHAKING HANDS
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 11:42
- Keywords: Xi Jinping Merkel signing agreement Airbus Enders
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: G20,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OFXE13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ties between China and Germany are about to enter a new phase, China's president said on Wednesday (July 5) after meeting Germany's chancellor, ahead of a G20 summit which is expected to highlight their differences with the U.S. administration on a host of issues.
"Chinese-German relations are now about to have a new start where we need new breakthroughs," said Xi Jinping at a joint news conference with Angela Merkel, adding that he hoped to make a "new blueprint, set our sights on new goals and plan new routes" for cooperation during his visit to Germany.
The two countries, which are at odds with U.S. President Donald Trump on climate policy, pledged to work more closely together on trade and aerospace, to progress toward a free trade agreement and also cooperate on development in Africa and in Afghanistan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None