- Title: South Africa's ANC proposes land expropriation without compensation
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ZUMA AND ANC OFFICIALS SINGING
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 17:49
- Keywords: Zuma ANC policy conference land corruption
- Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- City: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026OFZK93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Africa's ruling party failed on Wednesday (July 5) to agree a clear plan to get the economy out of recession and tackle near-28 percent unemployment, but risked rattling investors with pledges on nationalising the central bank and expropriating land.
The ANC officially agreed to accelerate land reform, with the possibility of expropriation without compensation as a last resort, without giving any details on how it would navigate the constitution to do this.
Any policies recommended this week need to be ratified at a December conference where President Jacob Zuma's replacement as head of the ANC will be named. With the party deeply divided between factions supporting Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa and Zuma's ex-wife Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, a former African Union chair, it may be difficult to come to an agreement.
Political analyst Aubrey Matshiqi sai the ANC had failed to "bridge the gap between policy and reality".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.