- Title: US, South Korea conduct joint missile drill amid North Korean ICBM threat
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: INTERNET (JULY 5, 2017) (REUTERS) NORTH KOREA'S OFFICIAL KCNA NEWS AGENCY'S WEBSITE ARTICLE ABOUT NORTH KOREA'S LEADER KIM JONG UN SUPERVISING TEST LAUNCH OF INTERCONTINENTAL BALLISTIC MISSILE (ICBM) HWASONG-14 / PART OF ARTICLE BEING HIGHLIGHTED HIGHLIGHTED SENTENCE IN ARTICLE READING (Korean): "WE HAVE NEWLY DESIGNED AND MADE AN INTERCONTINENTAL BALLISTIC MISSILE WHICH CAN CARRY A LARGE AND HEAVY NUCLEAR WARHEAD IN OUR OWN WAY IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME."
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 04:49
- Keywords: North Korea ICBM South Korea U.S. missile drill KCNA statement Kim Jong Un
- Location: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION, SOUTH KOREA / INTERNET
- City: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION, SOUTH KOREA / INTERNET
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026OFWXFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.S. and South Korea conducted joint missile drills off the coast of the southern half of the Korean peninsula on Wednesday (July 5) in a show of force after North Korea tested a newly developed intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) it said could carry a large and heavy nuclear warhead.
In video provided by a local tv network run by South Korea's defence ministry, an Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) and the Republic of Korea's Hyunmoo Missile II were seen being launched into the sky. The United States Army said in a statement that the drills showed both the U.S. and South Korea's military capability to "engage the full array of time critical targets under all weather conditions."
North Korea's test on Tuesday (July 4) triggered a call by Washington for global action to hold Pyongyang accountable for its pursuit of nuclear weapons. Some experts believe the tested ICBM had the range to reach parts of the mainland United States.
The North's official news agency KCNA said it had successfully verified the technical requirements of the newly developed ICBM in stage separation, the atmospheric re-entry of the warhead and the late-stage control of the warhead.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.