- Title: French prosecutor seeks jail, huge fine for Equatorial Guinea leader's son
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: MALABO, EQUATORIAL GUINEA (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EQUATORIAL GUINEA PRESIDENT, TEODORO OBIANG, FATHER OF TEODORIN OBIANG, WHO STANDS ACCUSED, ARRIVING WITH JEAN PING, FORMER CHAIRMAN OF THE AFRICAN UNION COMMISSION TEODORO OBIANG ADDRESSING DELEGATES AT AFRICAN UNION MEETING
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 13:02
- Keywords: Equatorial Guinea trial France Teodorin Obiang Teodoro Obiang
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE / MALABO, EQUATORIAL GUINEA / NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: PARIS, FRANCE / MALABO, EQUATORIAL GUINEA / NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0026OFYJ47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A French public prosecutor on Wednesday (July 5) asked a court to sentence the son of Equatorial Guinea's president to three years in jail on charges of using money plundered from his country to buy Parisian luxury properties and exotic cars.
The public prosecutor also said he should pay a 30 million euro fine and have all his assets in France confiscated.
Teodorin Obiang, eldest son of President Teodoro Obiang and a vice-president himself, denies charges of laundering embezzled public funds. He is being tried in absentia.
The court's ruling will come at a later date.
The case is the first of several to reach court in a broader judicial investigation into allegations of illicit acquisitions in France by long-time leaders and family relatives in several African countries including Gabon and Congo Republic.
Among the acquisitions at the centre of the trial is a large property bought for 25 million euros ($28.31 million) in 2005 on Paris's upmarket Avenue Foch, with gymnasium, steam room, hair-dressing studio and a discotheque with cinema screen.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None