- Title: Trump's son met Russian lawyer after promise of information on Clinton - NY Times
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: HAMBURG, GERMANY (JULY 7, 2017) (RUSSIAN POOL) WIDE OF ROOM TRUMP SPEAKING, SHAKING HANDS WITH PUTIN
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 01:14
- Keywords: Donald Trump Jr Paul Manafort Hillary Clinton Russia Trump
- Location: CLEVELAND, OHIO/WASHINGTON, D.C./ JOINT BASE ANDREWS, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES/HAMBURG, GERMANY/VANCOUVER, CANADA
- City: CLEVELAND, OHIO/WASHINGTON, D.C./ JOINT BASE ANDREWS, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES/HAMBURG, GERMANY/VANCOUVER, CANADA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00A6OZWXFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: President Donald Trump's son Donald Trump Jr. agreed to meet with a Kremlin-linked lawyer during the 2016 campaign after being promised damaging information about Hillary Clinton, the New York Times reported on Sunday (July 9), citing three advisers to the White House.
Trump's then-campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, also attended the meeting at Trump Tower on June 9, 2016, two weeks after Trump won the Republican nomination, the Times reported.
The Times quoted a statement from Donald Trump Jr. in which he acknowledged meeting with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya.
"After pleasantries were exchanged, the woman stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Ms. Clinton," the Times quoted Donald Trump Jr. as saying. Clinton was the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee.
The Times said Veselnitskaya then turned the conversation to the adoption of Russian children and a U.S. law blacklisting Russians linked to alleged human-rights abuses.
President Trump was "not aware of and did not attend" the meeting reported by the Times, Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Trump's legal team, said in an emailed statement.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None