- Title: Clashes break out in Venezuela after opposition rally
- Date: 9th July 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JULY 9, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CLOUD OF TEAR GAS AS PROTESTERS GROUP TOGETHER TO AVOID IT PROTESTER WEARING VENEZUELAN FLAG RUNNING ACROSS STREET PROTESTERS IN STREET AMID TEAR GAS NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS FIRING TEAR GAS GENERAL VIEW OF PROTESTERS HUDDLED TOGETHER AND COLUMNS OF TEAR GAS TEAR GAS ON STREET CLOUDS OF TEAR GAS AS NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS MOVE IN THE BACKGROUND MEDICS CARRYING PROTESTER VARIOUS OF MEDICS TREATING PROTESTER'S WOUND MEDICS HELPING PROTESTER OVERCOME BY TEAR GAS ONTO MOTORCYCLE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HIDING BEHIND MAKESHIFT SHIELDS NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS STANDING GUARD VARIOUS OF POLICE ON MOTORCYCLES
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2017 22:34
- Keywords: Nicolas Maduro tear gas opposition rally Lilian Tintori Leopoldo Lopez
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OZWNYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Clashes broke out in Caracas on Sunday (July 9) immediately after an opposition rally disbanded nearby.
National Guard troops fired tear gas at protesters who threw bottles and rocks and took up position behind makeshift shields.
The clashes came following a peaceful opposition rally where opposition leaders rallied support, galvanized by the surprise release from jail of hardline leader Leopoldo Lopez on Saturday (July 8).
Sunday marked 100 days of protests against a socialist government the opposition blames for political repression and economic misery.
Many protests have ended in clashes between masked youths and security forces, with more than 90 killed, hundreds arrested and thousands injured since the unrest began at the start of April.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None