- Title: Tillerson visit a powerful show of U.S. support - Ukraine's Poroshenko
- Date: 9th July 2017
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (JULY 9, 2017) (REUTERS) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE REX TILLERSON, UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT PETRO POROSHENKO AND BOTH DELEGATIONS TAKING SEATS FOR MEETING POROSHENKO SPEAKING TILLERSON LISTENING MEETING IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF TILLERSON LISTENING POROSHENKO AND TILLERSON ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT, PETRO POROSHENKO, SAYING: "We have received an absolutely clear message as for the support of Ukraine. Support of its sovereignty, territorial integrity, support of our independence, support of our reforms. And we are very grateful that today this support has being materialised in a form of the visit of the State Secretary of the United States of America." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE, REX TILLERSON, SAYING: "I think it is important to be very clear on what our goals are, United States' goals are with respect to the situation here. And first and foremost it is to restore Ukraine's territorial sovereignty and integrity." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE, REX TILLERSON, SAYING: "I've been very clear in my discussions with the Russian leadership on more than one occasion, that it is necessary for Russia to take the first steps to de-escalate the situation in the eastern part of Ukraine, in particular by respecting the ceasefire, by pulling back the heavy weapons and allowing the OSCE observers to carry out their responsibilities." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE, REX TILLERSON, SAYING: "I want to recognise the tremendous progress that has been made by the Ukrainian government in reforms over the past three years now, and it's evident in the economic performance as well which I find encouraging. I know there is more to do and I know you are committed to continuing these reforms to strengthen Ukrainian security, but also economic performance as well." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE, REX TILLERSON, SAYING: "And the president has made this clear in our communications with our Russian counterparts. This is indicative of the appointment of the ambassador Volker for more direct engagement. With the Normandy group we are going to be exploring ways to change the status quo. Because continuing to leave the things the way they are is simply not acceptable. So we have to reinvigorate these talks to move them forward, that is the purpose of our engagement, the purpose of ambassador Volker's appointment. So we are hopeful we can change this dynamic and begin to make progress." MEDIA POROSHENKO AND TILLERSON SHAKING HANDS AND LEAVING
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2017 15:34
- Keywords: U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OZVEX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko on Sunday (July 9) said the visit by U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to Kiev was a powerful show of Washington's support.
He also welcomed the appointment of Kurt Volker as a Special Representative to the Minsk peace process, saying Volker's experience as a career diplomat would help bring about the full implementation of the Minsk agreements.
Poroshenko added that Volker, who accompanied Tillerson to Kiev, will stay in the Ukrainian capital for several days to speed up coordination between the U.S. and Ukraine.
In the joint news conference with Poroshenko, Tillerson said that the objective of this appointment was to reinvigorate the Minsk peace process and to try and change the status quo in eastern Ukraine.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None