- Title: Hamburg officials condemn "unprecedented" violence at G20
- Date: 9th July 2017
- Summary: HAMBURG, GERMANY (JULY 9, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** HAMBURG OFFICIALS ARRIVING FOR CLOSING NEWS CONFERENCE AT POLICE HEADQUARTERS HAMBURG POLICE'S G20 LOGO HAMBURG INTERIOR MINISTER ANDY GROTE SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (German) HAMBURG INTERIOR MINISTER, ANDY GROTE, SAYING: "The criminal, armed, ruthless violence which was used goes beyond what experienced police officers have ever witnessed before in Germany." SCREEN SHOWING VIDEO TAKEN BY POLICE THERMAL IMAGE CAMERA IN POLICE HELICOPTER, WHICH SHOWS ANARCHISTS ON ROOFTOP THROWING MOLOTOV COCKTAIL DOWN ONTO POLICE WATER CANNON IN STREET / G20 POLICE OPERATIONS LEADER, HARTMUT DUDDE, HEARD SAYING "IT DID NOT EXPLODE WHICH IS DUE TO LUCK OR COINCIDENCE, A LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION FOR THE POLICE OFFICERS DOWN THERE" (SOUNDBITE) (German) G20 POLICE OPERATIONS LEADER, HARTMUT DUDDE, SAYING: "Just to make clear that I'm not telling any stories (holding up small plastic bag with slingshot bullet inside), this is a steel bullet we removed from a water cannon deployed from Bremen which was the first vehicle at the site. It perforated the water cannon's armour." SCREEN SHOWING VIDEO TAKEN BY POLICE THERMAL IMAGE CAMERA IN POLICE HELICOPTER, WHICH SHOWS ANARCHISTS ON ROOFTOP / G20 POLICE OPERATIONS LEADER, HARTMUT DUDDE, HEARD SAYING "THIS COLLEAGUE IS IN THE PROCESS OF ARRESTING SOMEONE WHO IS ON THE SCAFFOLDING AND THE GUY HAS TIME TO TAKE A VIDEO" (SOUNDBITE) (German) HAMBURG INTERIOR MINISTER, ANDY GROTE, SAYING: "Independent of the actual summit we are talking here about ruthless, violent acts carried out by criminals which we did not foresee to such an extent and which I believe no one was able to foresee." JOURNALISTS IN AUDIENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) HAMBURG POLICE CHIEF, RALF MARTIN MEYER, SAYING: "We prepared for this operation for a year and a half. We discussed, asked for, received and rehearsed with all the necessary technical means. We asked for all officers available throughout Germany." JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (German) HAMBURG MAYOR, OLAF SCHOLZ, SAYING: "One thing to me is clear: those who we were able to arrest and those who will still be found, thanks to the extensive video coverage gathered over recent days, should be charged. I hope they will face substantial punishment." JOURNALIST WRITING ON NOTEPAD WIDE OF NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2017 13:59
- Keywords: G20 police violence Hamburg crime
- Location: HAMBURG, GERMANY
- City: HAMBURG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: G20,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OZU3IF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hamburg city officials said on Sunday (July 9) that the violence seen in three consecutive nights of rioting during the G20 summit was "beyond" what experienced officers had ever seen.
Police said a video taken from a police helicopter with a thermal image camera showed anarchists on a rooftop throwing a molotov cocktail down on police officers and a water cannon.
In another instance, police said, a steel bullet probably fired from a slingshot entered an armoured water cannon.
Hamburg mayor Olaf Scholz said he hoped those responsible for the crimes would face "substantial punishment" and that more perpetrators would likely be identified thanks to "extensive video coverage".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None