- Title: Sun, sand and summer cocktails as Brussels beach opens
- Date: 7th July 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JULY 7, 2017) (REUTERS) ELDERLY COUPLE WALKING, HAVING LEFT BRUXELLES-LES-BAINS / BRUSSEL BAD (BRUSSELS BEACH) SIGN READING (French & Dutch) "Brussels Beach" AND ENTRANCE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN DECKCHAIRS ON SAND LITTLE BOY FILLING A BUCKET WITH SAND WOMEN IN DECKCHAIRS, FACING THE SUN 21 YEAR-OLD WALLOON, SEGOLENE LITEANU, SITTING ON SAND LITEANU AND FRIEND SITTING ON THE SAND WITH SNACKS (SOUNDBITE) (French) SEGOLENE LITEANU, A 21 YEAR-OLD FROM WALLONIA, SAYING: "It's a great spot to enjoy the sun, not be cooped up at home, and it feels a bit like being on holiday in a way. Itâ€™s nice instead of lying in a park, why not go to the 'beach'?" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ALONG THE CANALSIDE AT BRUSSELS BEACH WOMAN PREPARING A DRINK GROUP OF FRIENDS SAT AT BAR (SOUNDBITE) (French) SERGE GRAVE, A 52 YEAR-OLD SOCIAL WORKER WHO WORKS IN MOLENBEEK, SAYING: "I strongly recommend everyone to come, drink a good little cocktail here. The atmosphere is warm, and especially with the good weather at the moment, it's very nice." GROUP OF FRIENDS MAKING A TOAST FRIENDS SITTING AT BAR VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN DECKCHAIRS BY CANAL YOUNG WOMAN LYING IN DECK CHAIR WITH EYES CLOSED POLICE WALKING ALONG BRUSSELS BEACH VARIOUS OF SHIRTLESS YOUNG MEN ON BAR ROOFTOP VARIOUS OF WOMAN THROWING BALL IN GAME OF BOULES VARIOUS OF MALE TEENAGERS, WORKING AT BRUSSELS BEACH, PLAYING BEACH VOLLEYBALL (SOUNDBITE) (French) BURIME RAMADANI, AN 18 YEAR-OLD WORKING AT BRUXELLES-LES-BAINS , SAYING: "It ['Brussels Beach'] brings us together, it unites, [it shows] that Brussels is united and everyone should enjoy it." VARIOUS OF BRUSSELS CANAL WTIH BRUSSELS BEACH TAKING PLACE ON BOTH SIDES BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JULY 5, 2017) (REUTERS) PERSON DRIVING TRANSPORTING MACHINERY IMPORTED SAND VARIOUS OF MEN CUTTING BOARDS WOMEN CARRYING TABLE MAN SCREWING TABLE TOGETHER MAN CLEANING CHAIR, CUSHIONS PILED UP CUSHION READING (English): "Enjoy the summer"
- Embargoed: 21st July 2017 18:36
- Keywords: Brussels Beach entertainment sport music sand volleyball bars
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OPZ9LL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brussels' summer canal-side 'beach' opened on Friday (July 7), to a 28-degree celsius (82 degrees fahrenheit) sunny afternoon.
For five weeks, Brussels residents and visitors can lounge on a strip of sand in the heart of the city, with no need to travel to the coast.
Brussels Beach, known locally as Bruxelles Les Bains in French, and Brussel Bad in Dutch, features bars and food stalls from around the world, sports, and music entertainment, located in the Port of Brussels, northwest of the centre.
Burime Ramadani, an 18-year-old who works at the ephemeral beach, said it is a chance to show how Brussels is united.
The annual summer event organised by the city began in 2003, inspired by Paris Plages, a similar event with imported sand, drinks and activities lining a portion of the Seine in the French capital.
Traffic is interrupted for the duration of the five weeks in the 'beach' portion of the canal, to accommodate the stalls, sand, and palm trees brought in for a tropical atmosphere.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None