- Title: Clashes erupt in Caracas amid opposition roadblocks
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS / MEDICS TAKING AWAY INJURED PROTESTER
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 23:18
- Keywords: Nicolas Maduro roadblocks Leopoldo Lopez
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026P4ZEIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Opposition roadblocks dissolved into clashes on Monday (July 10) after a dramatic weekend which saw the surprise transfer of opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez from prison to house arrest.
Monday's roadblocks remained peaceful for most of the day after 100 days of protests that often ended in violent clashes and have resulted in the deaths of more than 90 people.
However, as the afternoon wore on, National Guard troops fired tear gas at protesters who threw rocks and other objects.
Earlier in the day, many blocking the roads had sounded defiant, galvanized by Lopez' transfer to house arrest. Lopez, 46, was sentenced to nearly 14 years in jail on charges of inciting violence during 2014 protests against President Nicolas Maduro that led to 43 deaths. But he was surprisingly granted house arrest and sent home due to what the Supreme Court called "irregularities" in his case and for health reasons. Lopez looked robust, however, when he later appeared to supporters.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None