- Title: US Senate's Schumer urges stabilizing health insurance market
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A. (JULY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS SITTING ON FLOOR IN SENATE HALLWAY AND STOMPING FEET CHANTING 'KILL THIS BILL.' PROTESTERS HOLDING POSTERS AND YELLING 'KILL THIS BILL' POLICE OFFICERS ASKING ACTIVISTS TO LEAVE ACTIVISTS WALKING AWAY YELLING 'HEALTHCARE IS A HUMAN RIGHT' POLICE TYING HANDS OF ACTIVIST WHO REFUSES TO LEAVE POLICE WALKING ACTIVIST WHO REFUSED TO LEAVE AWAY AS SHE YELLS 'HEALTHCARE IS A HUMAN RIGHT'
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 21:15
- Keywords: protest healthcare senate activists demonstration Mitch McConnell Chuck Schumer
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A.
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A.
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0056P4Z0BP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:As activists briefly protested inside the Senate on Monday (July 10) over Republican healthcare reform, U.S. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said he had written to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell urging bipartisan effort to stabilize the U.S. health insurance market.
Schumer noted that McConnell had been quoted recently as saying Congress will need to shore up that market if lawmakers fail to repeal Obamacare.
Republicans are hoping to roll back Obamacare, perhaps as early as next week The Hill reported, saying Senator Majority Whip John Cornyn, the Senate's No. 2 Republican, said he hoped the revised Republican healthcare plan could be released later this week for a vote next week.
Schumer also urged Congress to pass tough sanctions against Russia, saying Trump had not been tough enough with Russian President Vladimir Putin when the two met on the sidelines of the G20.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None