- Title: US Senate's Schumer urges stabilizing health insurance market
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A. (JULY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) RUSSELL SENATE BUILDING HALLWAY OUTSIDE ARIZONA SENATOR JEFF FLAKE'S OFFICE WITH ACTIVIST LEADING CHANT: 'THIS BILL HAS GOT TO GO. TRUMP CARE EQUALS DEATH. WE NEED MEDICARE. KILL THIS BILL' ACTIVISTS CHANTING: 'KILL THIS BILL. KILL THIS BILL' ACTIVISTS SITTING ON FLOOR CHANTING 'WHAT DO WE WANT? HEALTHCARE. WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW' PROTESTERS SITTING ON FLOOR AND CHANTING '(SENATOR JEFF) FLAKE, WHERE ARE YOU?'
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 21:15
- Keywords: protest healthcare senate activists demonstration Mitch McConnell Chuck Schumer
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A.
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., U.S.A.
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016P4Z0BP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:As activists briefly protested inside the Senate on Monday (July 10) over Republican healthcare reform, U.S. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said he had written to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell urging bipartisan effort to stabilize the U.S. health insurance market.
Schumer noted that McConnell had been quoted recently as saying Congress will need to shore up that market if lawmakers fail to repeal Obamacare.
Republicans are hoping to roll back Obamacare, perhaps as early as next week The Hill reported, saying Senator Majority Whip John Cornyn, the Senate's No. 2 Republican, said he hoped the revised Republican healthcare plan could be released later this week for a vote next week.
Schumer also urged Congress to pass tough sanctions against Russia, saying Trump had not been tough enough with Russian President Vladimir Putin when the two met on the sidelines of the G20.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None