- Title: Paris has learnt from "past mistakes" in 2024 Olympic bid - Macron
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** BACH AND MACRON SHAKING HANDS
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 19:35
- Keywords: Macron Bach Lausanne Olympic Games Paris 2024
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036P4YZI7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday (July 10) said the Paris 2024 Olympic bid team had learnt from "past mistakes" at a joint news conference with International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach in Lausanne.
The IOC will hold a meeting on Tuesday (July 11) where it is expected to ratify an executive board recommendation to award both the 2024 and the 2028 Games at the same time, ensuring both candidates host one Games.
However, the IOC would still have to decide who goes first, and the two candidates are lobbying intensely to try to get the 2024 Games they originally bid for.
Macron's presence on Tuesday is an unusual move. Heads of state generally turn up only for the host city vote, which this year will take place in Lima, Peru, on Sept. 13.
Paris has already failed in three attempts to land the Olympics, in 1992, 2008 and 2012.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.